Tuesday, October 10, 2017

Chores...

A few weeks ago when I was in a classroom for a substitute position, we were reading an article in a Scholastic News magazine about chores. It was a debate on whether or not kids should get paid to do chores. It had an argument for both sides and I'm kind of on the fence about it. This is something I had never thought about before but will have to start thinking about in a few years when Big E is a little older.

Here is why I believe kids should get paid for chores: By giving kids money for chores, it motivates them to want to do their chores and help out around the house. It also gives them a little taste of what it will be like when they are older and have to work to get paid. They also learn a little bit about money management. Say there is a toy or movie that they really want, they can do x amount of chores and save their money in order to get what they want.

And here are some reasons that they shouldn't get chores. It was mentioned in the article that moms and dads don't get paid to clean their room, do the dishes, or wash the clothes, so why should kids. I think that is a very valid point. Also, kids should just be expected to help keep the house clean and listen to their parents when they ask them to help out.

So...I'm still not too sure what I'm going to do about this once Big E is a little older. There are valid points for both why kids should and shouldn't get paid to do chores. This will be a conversation my hubby and I will have to have down the road, when the time is right. What do you think? I would love to hear what you have to say!

No comments:

Post a Comment