Tuesday, January 2, 2018

A kind of uncomfortable post...

A few months ago I had started writing a post like this one but then for some reason I just scraped the whole post. I decided to write this post again because it's something I've been thinking about recently. When I was younger I used to go to church and was even part of a youth group at one point. I'm not sure why I ever stopped going to church in the first place. I had never seen myself as a religious person. It's not like I don't believe in God, because I do. I just don't go to church or pray or even read the Bible.

Within the past few months I was around some friends that were talking about God and religion and it just got me thinking about all of this. Yes I've been doing fine going about my life without praying or reading the Bible, but I just have to wonder what I could gain by doing those things. I'm not saying I'm going to go super religious and change every aspect of my life, but it wouldn't hurt to read the Bible.

And that is exactly what I plan on doing. I have the app YouVersion Bible on my phone and I plan on using that app every day. They have all kind of plans to go through and I have chosen the plan called "Bible In One Year 2018". Each day has a devotional to read and then some passages that go along with it.

I'm not exactly sure yet what doing this is going to do for me. I haven't even told my husband how I feel about this. He isn't the religious type either. But a time is going to come when we need to discuss this and figure out how we are going to raise our children in regards to religion. A part of me felt guilty during the holiday season because we didn't talk at all about the real reason for Christmas. I know the story of Christmas (and I'm pretty sure my husband does as well), but like I said, religion just isn't something we talk about. Big E and Little E don't hear about religion from anyone. And I honestly don't know how to introduce them to God or Jesus. Big E got a book at my baby shower called "Sweet Dreams Princess: Bedtime Bible Stories, Devotions, and Prayers". Maybe I just need to start with that. I'll start reading through the book with her and go from there. I'm not sure exactly what she is going to think or be able to understand from it. She actually understands more than I think she does sometimes. So she may surprise me!! And then I think I should see if they have a version of this book for little boys and I can start reading it to him when he is a little older.

Do you have any tips on how to introduce your little ones to God? I think what is making it hard for me is that it's not something that has been naturally in our house from the time our kiddos were born, so it's not just new to them, but new to me as well. I'll take any tips you have!!!

1 comment:

  1. How about Bible School this summer? Then start looking in to churches. Also, there are probably AWANA groups in your area.

    ReplyDelete