Friday, January 26, 2018

My ideal future classroom

I've been thinking a lot recently about what I want my future classroom to be like. I have decided that I'm ready to start looking for a full-time teaching position to start in this fall. I have been saying that I wanted to wait until Big E was in Kindergarten before going back to work full-time, but ever since I started substitute teaching again, it is making me want to do more than just subbing.

I don't always get to do what I love every day that I work. Sometimes all the teachers give me to do is busy work for the kids where they just work in groups on a worksheet or work by themselves. There are some days that I actually get to teach some lessons to the class, but I'm ready to be doing that every day I work. I'm ready to be in charge of my own classroom of kids. I'm ready to have tests and worksheets to grade. I know it's going to be a lot more work than I'm doing now, but I'm ready for it!

So here is what my future classroom would look like:

As the students walk in, they would make see something creative that I've made from Pinterest where they will make their lunch choice for the day. I have a few ideas of what I'd like that to look like. This is one that I found on Pinterest that I really like.


I found this on Pinterest as well that I love for a paper turn in area:


On the first day of school we would talk about rules and why they are important. We would also come up with expectations both of what I expect from the students and what they can expect from me. It is hard as a substitute teacher to get the respect that you deserve from the students. Unless you are in the same classroom a lot, those kids don't really know you and think they can get away with goofing off and not acting the same way as they would if their teacher was there. But when it is your own classroom and you you lay down the rules right from the start, it is a lot easier to get the respect you deserve. So I want my classroom to be a safe place for the students where they feel like they belong. I want it to be like our own little community where everyone respects each other. 

Here is a link to my Pinterest board for my classroom. I created it a few months ago around the same time I was interviewing for the long-term 5th grade substitute position. Just the idea of possibly getting a full-time job got my wheels turning in my brain on what I wanted to do with that classroom. Even though I didn't get that position, I'm still thinking about what my future classroom is going to look like. I get so excited just thinking about having a classroom I can call my own! I know it is going to happen one day!! Until then, I'll keep searching Pinterest for even more ideas!!

No comments:

Post a Comment