Wednesday, June 14, 2017

He's no longer a baby...

Little E turned 1 year old 2 weeks ago!! I can't believe it!! Where did my little baby go?? Time really does go by way too fast!!

I wanted to talk about my breastfeeding journey with Little E. But first, let me talk a little bit about my experience with Big E. As I may have mentioned before, she was born 8 weeks early. While she was in the NICU for the first 16 days of her life, we eventually started breastfeeding and she was doing great. Then she did alright once we got home but eventually, she was taking an hour to eat. Then when she was finished, she would be ready to start eating again in about an hour. That's when I decided to start pumping and giving her bottles. I did this from about 2 months until she was close to a year. When she was almost 1 year old, I slowly stopped pumping until I was dried up and gave her frozen milk until she could have regular milk.

So when I got pregnant with Little E, I was determined to make breastfeeding work. But I also decided from the very beginning that I wasn't going to pump because I knew that would be rough with a toddler and newborn. I am happy to say that we made it to a year!! There were a few times in the early months that I thought of quitting, but I didn't. I'm so glad I was able to able to make it work this time around and still can't believe what the human body can do!! But at the same time, it feels really good to not be attached to Little E 24/7!

So my advice for anyone who is expecting, if you want to try breastfeeding and it doesn't work, don't beat yourself up about it. Just do the best you can and get help when needed. Just know that even if you do have to use formula, it isn't poison. As long as your baby is getting fed, that's all that matters!

No comments:

Post a Comment